Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sparkle with Hand-Mixed Embossing Powder!

Happy Wednesday! Today I bring you one of my favorite new stamps from the Mary Vogel Lozinak collection on Viva Las Vegastamps! plate 1398. The Peacock and the "Don't let anyone ever dull your sparkle" really make me smile! I wanted to experiment with making Terri Sproul's Mixers--mica powders--into Embossing Powders with the Ultra High Gloss Embossing Powder. I hope you find my experiment useful and that you enjoy my sparkle 

For this project you will need:

Gear Embossing Folder
Miscellaneous Gear Hardware
Versamark Embossing Pad
Coredinations Cut & Emboss Series Glitter Stacks
I began by mixing Terri Sproul's Mixers to Ultra High Gloss
Embossing Powder 1 to 2.
The results left the test strips [pieces of Miracle Tape embossed
with my new mixed powder] interesting but not the effect I was
going for...I needed more product melting.
So, I moved to a larger container and added one more scoop
of Ultra High Gloss Embossing Powder making the ratio 3 to 1
EP to Mixer.
This creates the desired effect!
I really liked the bronze and the Shimmer Aquamarine on the
the Mary Vogel Lozinak Peacock. I targeted the colors of
embossing powder exactly where I wanted them. I likewise
did this same technique on a white piece of cards tock--which
ultimately ended up on my card. 
After trimming out the embossed black peacock I decided I
preferred the one stamped on the white. I will save this pretty
fella for another day.
For an added card feature, I dry-embossed a piece of black card
stock with a folder, swiped it with the versamark pad and dusted
straight bronze and tanzanite mixers onto the raised areas.
The  sentiment was stamped on white card stock. Both white
pieces were matted with Bronze Glitter paper. The gears were
painted with Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer and Terri's Mixers
to give the extra color.

Thank you for looking and remember: "Don't let anyone ever dull your sparkle!" [I feel very RuPaul when I say that!]

Don't forget right now you can get FREE SHIPPING on Viva Las Vegastamps! orders...check out our April Newsletter to learn how! Sign up! You won't want to miss an exciting edition!

8 comments:

LeeB said...

thats an awesome peacock, well done, I need to play with this stuff more. TFS very inspiring.

www.cricutcraftyclare.blogspot.com said...

I have two or three colors of embossing powder and often skip adding it because I don't have the right color. Now I can use the Terri Sproul mixers to match and still have them for other things! Love this! thanks!

Molly Smith said...

Awesome card LeslieRahye. The stamps, final colors and your design are perfect together.

Great tutorial and photos!

Lyneen said...

Great new technique.. I will have to give this a try!!! Thanks for sharing!

AJsArts said...

I love the technique! Great card :)

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

Just one word..."PINNING"!!!!

Debbie said...

What a way cool technique. Will be giving this one a go!

Unknown said...

I love the gear embossing.