Friday, December 26, 2014

Stamping on Clay to create ATC cards

Hello and Happy Friday!  Tina here today with my final Designer project for VLVS!  I want to say Thank you to DeeDee and the wonderful VLVS team.  I have loved be part of the VLVS family and I will miss seeing you each month!

For my final project, I though I'd share a type of project that may be new to you, stamping on clay.


My first experience with clay, was at an Art Is You Retreat in Petaluma, CA, back in September.  I was immediately hooked and have been wanting to create with clay once again.

The clay we used during the retreat was oven baked, but I wanted to create a faster, easier project using air dry clay.  I used Fimo Basic. (FYI - this was the first time I used this clay and it was very easy to work with.  Just follow the enclosed directions.)



I rolled the clay out to approx a 1/4 in thick, then inked up several stamps with Staz On ink and stamped away!

VLVS Stamps used:
Butterfly Specimens
Crackle Background


I cut around each image (and cut shapes), then set them aside to dry.  (the instructions said to let them dry for at least 24 hours, but I let mine dry for 48 hours)



Once my clay had cured, I began assembling each ATC card.  Using Shimmerz Paints and UmWowStudio stencils, I created a colorful background on each card.  I then colored pieces of punchinella with coordinating colors of Staz On Ink.

(Note:  the ink on the finished stamped pieces appears lighter because I colored each piece with a Pearl colored Shimmerz Paint.)



I embellished each stamped clay piece in coordinating colors and Viola - Done!




I hope you enjoyed by ATC cards today and next time when you are looking for a new, creative way to use your stamps, try clay!

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Shanna Shands said...

These are awesome!

Julie S said...

I have some paper clay that's been sitting in a drawer for ages. I'm inspired!